If you’re one of the many people who have had trouble starting their car because their car keys don’t seem to work in the ignition, don’t worry, you’re not alone. This problem is actually quite common, but there are a few things you can do to try and fix it.
Lock Cylinder Issues
The first thing you should do is check your lock cylinder. If you can’t get your key to turn in the ignition, it may be that the lock cylinder is damaged or worn out. You can try to fix this problem by spraying WD-40 or another lubricant into the lock cylinder. This may help to loosen up the lock cylinder and allow your key to turn smoothly.
If this doesn’t work, you may need to replace the lock cylinder. You can purchase a new lock cylinder at most auto parts stores or online. You can also take your car to a locksmith and have them replace the lock cylinder for you.
Tricks to Try
If your key won’t turn in the ignition, there are a few tricks you can try before taking it to a mechanic.
- Spray WD-40 or another lubricant into the lock cylinder. This may help to loosen up the lock cylinder and allow your key to turn smoothly.
- Use a key that is the same shape as your ignition key but is a different size. This may help to get the key into the lock cylinder and turn it.
- Use a key that is made of a different material than your ignition key. This may help to get the key into the lock cylinder and turn it.
The Common Causes of Lock Cylinder Issues
There are a few common causes of lock cylinder issues. These include:
- Worn-out keys: Over time, your keys may become worn out. This can make it difficult to insert your keys into the lock cylinder.
- Dirty lock cylinders: Dirt and debris can build up in your lock cylinder, making it difficult for your keys to turn.
- Damaged lock cylinders: If your lock cylinder is damaged, it may be difficult for your keys to turn.
- Frozen lock cylinders: In cold weather, your lock cylinder may freeze. This can make it difficult for your keys to turn.
Should You Just Replace the Lock Cylinder or Get a New Car?
In some cases, the problem may be that your car is too old. If your car is more than ten years old, it may be worth it to just replace your car. If you like your car, it may be better to replace the lock cylinder.
Is It Safe to Drive a Car with a Defective Lock Cylinder?
Driving with a defective lock cylinder can be very dangerous. You should have the problem fixed as soon as possible. This is especially true of frozen lock cylinders. Cars with frozen lock cylinders may be very difficult to start, which could cause you to get stuck in dangerous situations.
The Bottom Line
There are a few things that you can do when your car keys don’t work in the ignition. Firstly, check to make sure that the key is actually the problem and not something else. If it is the key, you can try wiggling it around or using a different key. If that doesn’t work, you can try using a coat hanger or a paper clip to start the car. Finally, if all else fails, you can call a tow truck to take your car to the nearest service station.
What will web design look like in 2022? And beyond?
Do you need the help of a locksmith in Richardson? Action Lock Doc has been providing quality locksmith services for over 40 years. We also offer 24-hour emergency locksmith service. Get in touch with us.