It happens to all of us. We’ve all thought that we put our keys in our pocket, but then we see them on the seat when we look back in the car. It’s easy to panic in this situation, but it’s essential to remain calm. Getting locked out of your car can happen to the best of us.
Consumer Reports says that nearly four million Americans lock themselves out of their cars every year. And this figure is up almost half a million people from last year!
As the number of cars with keyless entry increases, it’s going to be more and more common to accidentally lock your keys in your car. It’s easy to forget your keys in the cup holder or console when you don’t have to remove the key from the ignition.
Luckily, most models will remind you if you’ve left your key in your car. Unfortunately, it isn’t perfect, and accidents will happen. If you get locked out of your car, here’s what you should do next.
What to Check For
When you get locked out of your car, the first step is to make sure there aren’t any pets or kids inside. Cars can very quickly overheat in the summer months. If there are pets or children in your car, you should call 911 immediately.
While you might not want to call for emergency help, it’s important to get help quickly. You could be waiting an hour or more for roadside assistance to show up. It can get to over 100°F inside your car in about 5 minutes. Every second is important.
What are your options?
So you’ve made sure that there are no kids or pets in your car that need immediate attention. Now that you’re stuck thinking, “I’m locked out of my car, what can I do?”
- Remain calm: The most important thing to do is remain calm. There is no reason to add stress to an already stressful situation. It happens to everyone and someone will be able to help you.
- Find your spare key: The first thing to think about is your spare key. Do you know where it is? Is there someone that can bring it to you? Investing in a second key can offer you an easy solution and will pay for itself over time if this is a frequent occurrence. It also prevents you from losing your key in other situations.
- Check your warranty: Another option for roadside assistance is warranty service. If you have a newer car, then you most likely have warranty coverage. One benefit of this could be an emergency locksmith. If you aren’t sure if you have this option, contact the dealership to double-check. It’s a good idea to be aware of what your warranty coverage offers anyway. This can stop you from overpaying or double paying for a car service.
- Check your car insurance policy: Some car insurance policies have built-in roadside assistance programs. There may be a certain number of times per year you can use a roadside assistance service like AAA for free.
- Credit card benefits: If your car insurance doesn’t offer roadside assistance there may be other options. Credit cards will sometimes have roadside assistance programs that you can use. If you pay an annual fee, your card may come with additional perks. You can call the credit card company to see what they offer.
What not to do
You might be tempted to try to get into your car on your own. It isn’t like the movies or videos on YouTube. It’s actually rather difficult to get into a car without the keys or specialized tools.
The truth is, you risk damaging your car. If you try to open the lock with something other than your key, you’re most likely going to scratch your car, damage the door, break the window, or possibly damage the locking mechanism itself. This can cause damage that costs you a lot more than just calling a locksmith.
Call an Automotive Locksmith
Most automotive locksmiths specialize in helping people that have locked their keys in the car. Their technicians are highly trained are experienced with helping people in your precise predicament.
They have the tools and experience to unlock your car without damaging it.
Benefits of Calling a Locksmith
- 24-Hour Service: No matter what time of day or night that you get locked out of your car, someone will be able to help you.
- Fixed cost of services: The cost of having a towing service to come help you can vary. Locksmiths charge a flat rate so you’ll know exactly how much it’ll cost.
- Experienced technicians: When you call a car locksmith, you’re getting the exact help you need. Their staff is trained for the exact predicament you’re in and have the right tools to get you back into your car without damaging it.
- Fix broken keys: Breaking a key inside your lock is the worst possible thing that could happen, but locksmiths can fix this in a flash. They can help with whatever lock issue you are having.
Call Action Lock Doc
One of the great things about Action Lock Doc is that they don’t just provide emergency unlocking services. They are there for any of your locksmith needs. If you need copies of keys made, to change electronic key batteries, recode keys, or anything else – Action Lock Doc has got you covered.
This is specifically helpful if you have a set of keys that is difficult to duplicate. Some keys can’t just be duplicated but need to be coded. This service can come in handy if you have an older car or the dealership can’t offer a spare.
Action Lock Doc also does much more than automotive services. They are perfect for all your commercial or residential needs. There is no need to worry about who to turn to for all of your safety needs. Next time you find yourself locked out of your car, you’ll know what to do.